It’s Tuesday and time to dive into Cold Water Bridegroom by Bokerah Brumley, the next Falling in Deep novella!
Having grown up in San Francisco, Calder Brumen is drawn to the ocean, and he’s spent his life trying to capture the beauty of the Pacific on canvas. Over time, he has become obsessed with painting the image of a dark haired mermaid named Gaire, and Calder struggles to explain his devotion to these portraits to his best friend. When Calder finds sandy footprints leading to the edge of his bed, he suspects that the haunting siren is real.
Pursuing the truth, Calder is dragged into a murderous, underwater plot that could destroy them all. And he must choose – is the possibility of a lifetime with Gaire worth risking death for himself and everyone he loves?
“Hush, Calder,” she whispered.
Pulling the sheet from the floor, she slipped into the bed, covering them both. The feel of her against his side brought on another struggle to touch her, another groan of her name.
“You’re dreaming. Go back to sleep.”
The edges of the room twisted inward when Gaire’s fingers fluttered up his thigh. The scent of saltwater, coconuts and jasmine grew stronger, lulling him and clouding his mind. He struggled to reach out to her, but his limbs did not respond and then even his thoughts fell silent, swallowed by the warmth of her gentle lips on his.
She murmured something against his mouth, but he could no longer understand her words. He drifted in the confusion her nearness wrought.
* * *
He glanced around the room through squinted eyes. Always wake up alone. The glaring sun streamed through the open sliding door. The white chiffon curtains fluttered in the wind, but there was no other movement in the room. When he propped himself up on his elbows, bits of sand jumped along the edge of the king-sized bed.
Real… Mary mother of god, she’s real, she’s always been real.
He scrubbed his hand over his face. Does she come every night?
Small, sandy footprints led toward the bed from the balcony, but none led away. Flashes of softness, warmth, bright red lips calling his name, feathery kisses across his chest and down…
He felt a flush creep across his hardened body.
Oh, good god… I think I’ve finally gone insane.
Questions for Bokerah:
1. What is your favorite mermaid story or myth? I included the Blue Men of Minch and 1830 Mermaid of Benbecula. Both are briefly mentioned in history, but they were great for my novella.
2. What was the inspiration for your mermaid novella? Anna Albergucci, A.R. Draeger, and I were brainstorming during a Write Day at the Albergucci estate. I joked that I might do something completely ridiculous this time. That + My husband and I really like UFC champ Coner McGregor + I like beards = Calder was born. To be different, I decided that Cold Water Bridegroom should mostly be written from Calder Brumen’s point of view.
3. Cast your characters. If your novella was made into a movie, who would play your main characters? Calder Brumen: Gerard Butler (think: redheaded Leonidas that paints), Gaire: Ayelet Zurer or Alexis Knapp (but, man, Jenn Proske has the hair), Mike Love: Scott Evans (Captain America’s younger brother) or Brett Tucker, though they are both a bit tall for the role. Venora: To be honest, she’d be much harder to cast, but I bet Uma Thurman could pull it off. If Uma was busy that year, I’d choose Cate Blanchett. I still haven’t figured out the twins.
4. What was most challenging thing writing about mermaids? I think the hardest part was making the characters believable, while crossing from water to land, or even into the mer-city – just how to make it all work, think of and answer all the questions.
5. Ursula or Ariel? Ummm…. May I pick King Triton? 😉
6. What else should we know about your novella? Set in San Francisco, Calder is a moody artist looking for his forever, and like in all good stories, somebody dies. (:
About the Author
Bokerah Brumley is an award-winning freelance writer. In her spare time, Bokerah enjoys climbing trees, photographing peacocks, and writing flash fiction. Two novellas and one novel are planned for 2015. She lives with her husband, five kids, and three dogs in West Texas where she serves as the blue-haired publicity officer for the Cisco Writers Club.
Instagram: https://instagram.com/bokerah (@bokerah)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/msbbrumley (@msbbrumley)